HP3000-L Archives

September 1997, Week 2

From:
Brian Duncombe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Brian Duncombe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Sep 1997 08:47:12 -0400
At 11:46 AM 9/10/97 -0700, John Burke wrote:
>Tony Furnivall writes (somewhat passionately but for good reason because
>he has given signifcant time and energy to Interex):

<more snips>
>success and all involved deserve our respect and support. My point, and
>I assume Ken's, was that we attended what was billed as a Management
>Roundtable; yet the first 40 minutes were consumed by the
>presentation/analysis/response of the Advocacy Survey. The concept of
>"truth in advertising" comes to mind. Had there been a session devoted
>to the Advocacy survey, I might have even attended. Because I wanted to;
>not because I was lured under false pretences.

<plug>
AMEN
</plug>
Especially when I heard many people (including my own echo) who lamented
that the Management RT [MRT] was being run at the same time as a number of
other extremely interesting (to me anyway) sessions.  I know that I would
have much rather attended another session for the first hour of the MRT
time slot, but was duped into choosing the MRT because I assUme[d] that it
would follow it's historical format!  Also, I may be wrong but it seems to
me that the MRT was historically run without conflicting sessions,
certainly not so in 1997.  This was made all the worse by the totally
unacceptable conflicts that occurred because of the number of excellent
presentations combined with a serious shortening of the effective duration
of the conference.  Yes, I know that there were added cost sessions earlier
but the core conference didn't start til tuesday and it wound down early on
Thursday.

Brian Duncombe  [log in to unmask]  http://www.triolet.com
"Inside every large program is a small one struggling to get out."
          C. A. R. Hoare