HP3000-L Archives

September 1997, Week 2

From:
Michael Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Sep 1997 00:24:33 -0500

-----[ SNIP ]-------

> Well, we are getting ready to set up a network in which each programmer
> will have a PC with on his/her desk with Reflection. The 5 PCs will be
> running Windows 95 and Reflection to access the HP.  The company that does
> our HP stuff recommended a setup where all of the PCs' connect into a hub
> that has a connection to the HP. This sounds logical, but almost too easy.
> I am pretty network illiterate, too, so go easy on me here...
>
> 1.      Are the PCs all going to be peer-to-peer'd with each other, or just
> connected to the HP?

Windows PC's can be Peer-to-Peer and connected to the 3k at the same time.

Also if you don't mind using BETA software on your 3k you can download SAMBA/iX
from the Net. Samba will allow you to connect to your HP3000 MPE/iX file system as
a share in your Windows Explore. This means that you can edit files that reside on
the 3k directly from the PC using any PC based editor like NotePad, without
downloading the file to the PC.

> 2.      Will each PC have its own LDEV# when it logs into the HP under
> Reflection?

The most reliable way to access the 3k from the network is to make use of the
inbound VT service. Inbound VT comes with the "THIN LAN" NS/3000 product from HP,
or else you can pick from a small list of third party vendors who supply the same
kind of software. When the inbound VT service receives a connect request the LDEV#
is randomly assigned. I'm not sure if inbound VT LDEV#'s can be nailed to a
specific LDEV#.  However using inbound VT you can have more than one connection at
a time.

> 3.      Will we simply be able to switch from "Serial" to "Best Network" in the
> Reflection Connection Setup to go from being 9600 baud to 100 Mbps or
> whatever 10 Base T promises?

I think you may also need Reflections Network Series or else NSOPEN by itself. Go
to http://www.wrq.com and ask tech support.

Regards,

Michael Anderson.