HP3000-L Archives

September 1997, Week 2

From:
Wirt Atmar <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 10 Sep 1997 14:39:52 -0400
A few days ago I posted a posting in which I kidded around and used Birket as
the brunt of a ill-phrased joke. There was absolutely nothing mean-spirited
in my intentions in what I said. Nonetheless, I regretted that posting almost
as soon as I sent it -- and I have come to regret it more as time has passed.

If nothing else, it proves the old adage that you should never use anyone but
yourself as the butt of your jokes, especially given the rich source of
material that you have there.

My respect for Birket runs very deep. He has been a constant mooring in
unsettled seas. His support of the HP3000 has been unwavering over the years
-- and he is one of the primary reasons that the HP3000 is still around,
alive and well. None of this is meant to be excessively flattering. It's
simply the truth. And he's been a good friend long enough that I felt
comfortable ribbing him a bit. But it was the kind of ribbing that would have
been far better done in private, not in public.

Again, my sincere apologies.

On a similar subject, Rene Woc pointed out to privately that my comments
about SIG leaders could be read in an offensive manner. Again, that
interpretation, which is perfectly reasonable, was also completely
unintentioned. As every bigot is prone to say, "Some of my best friends are
SIG leaders," only in this case, it's true -- and I would never intentionally
offend any of them (Ken, Jeanette, Tony, etc.).

On the internet, you have to be especially careful how you phrase things.
Weak attempts at humor can come across appearing mean-spirited in ways never
intentioned. Incomplete explanations can appear the same way.

Wirt Atmar