HP3000-L Archives

September 1997, Week 1

From:
"Denys P. Beauchemin" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 5 Sep 1997 09:19:27 -0500
A few months ago, I helped a customer connect to the Internet.  We called
in an ISP and they gave us a range of IP addresses.  We modified the
network to use those addresses, then we waited for SWB (South Western Bell)
to install the IDSN (128kbps), ten days.  When the ISDN was installed, the
ISP came in with an Ascend box, placed it on the internal network,
connected the ISDN line to it, instructed the built-in firewall about a few
things, and bingo, they were on the Internet.

Mail goes through, the users can browse the Internet and everything else is
closed off.  If they want FTP access, they will need to program that in the
firewall, but it is not a big deal.

My suggestion to you is to find an ISP and explain what you need to them.
 They can spec it out and install it very quickly, if they are any good.

Kind regards,

Denys. . .

Denys Beauchemin
HICOMP America, Inc.
(800) 323-8863  (281) 288-7438         Fax: (281) 355-6879
[log in to unmask]                             www.hicomp.com