HP3000-L Archives

September 1997, Week 1

From:
Alan AMBERS <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Alan AMBERS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Sep 1997 07:05:00 -0400
Jim said.....

[snip whine stuff since I didn't go either.....]

> So, anyway, we bought a DTC from a third-party and while I'm waiting
> for tomorrow to call their tech support, I thought I'd post it here
> to see if the HP3000 gestalt mind can help me.  The situation is a
> 918 in Ohio linked via Cisco router and frame relay to a 918 in
> Texas with another Cisco router.  The frame and routers are working,
> at least as far as TCP/IP is concerned (I'm able to connect all of
> our PC's in Texas to the 918 in Ohio - the master computer).  I want
> to run some spooled printers down here in Texas, so I specifically
> asked the router and frame providers if they could handle (i.e.,
> bridge) the HP DTC protocol (ADCP?), and of course, they said it
> would be no problem.  So the DTC finally arrives (only took a week!),
> I hook it up via 10Base2 (now here's an oddity, the DTC has an AUI
> port, not a coax connector, so I got a transceiver and connected
> that between the AUI and the coax), I configure the new DTC in NMMGR
> (on the machine in Ohio), and tell MPE to make the changes effective
> immediately, which it does (I can see the DTC in TERMDSM of SYSDIAG).
> However, RESET of this DTC (via TERMDSM/SYSDIAG) gives me a timeout
> waiting for the DTC to respond, in other words, it can't "see" the
> DTC.  I double checked the new DTC's LAN address and it's correct.

A couple of questions.

1) What model DTC?   The older DTC-48 needs to have an internal jumper
moved to connect to the AUI port.  The DTC16/iX autosenses.

2) What configuration do you have for your Cisco routers?  In our case, we
have IP routing turned on and then bridiging turned on which will allow
the AFCP/ADCP packets to pass.

With most DTC's, you can plug a terminal (or termulator) into the first
port and enter some key sequence once the DTC goes so far in its
selftest/bootup.  I think the keystroke is a <control-P>.  I would think
that the terminal needs to be set to 9600/n/8.  That might be different
depending on your DTC.

> So, I don't need to reboot the machine in Ohio, do I?  I can reboot,
> but it will be tomorrow evening.

Can't help you there, still on 5.0 on most of our network.

> Or, is there something wrong with the network?

See bridging comment above

> Or, is the DTC bad?

Another thing about DTC's and AUIs.  I have found that you need to turn on
SQE test (also known as the heartbeat).  When this was off, the one DTC
worked, but others failed since our DTC manager PC was overloaded
complaining about the heartbeat being turned off.

> Or, did I really screw this up?

> Awaiting any and all responses.  And hey, it's on topic, unlike the
> science versus religion debate. :-)

I think troubleshooting datacomm is both a science and and art.  I guess
having faith doesn't hut either. :-)

> Jim Phillips                            Manager of Information Systems
> Voice: (915) 860-9933                   Therm-O-Link of Texas, Inc.
>   Fax: (915) 860-9936                   1295 Henry Brennan
> Email: [log in to unmask]       El Paso, Texas   79936

Hope my questions help...

/alan

Alan Ambers, Chief of Network Technologies
Frederick County Government, IIS
(301) 694-1015