HP3000-L Archives

September 1997, Week 1

From:
Jim Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jim Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Sep 1997 19:22:12 -0400
Our plant here in Texas uses hand held bar code scanners (Micro-Wand
IIIE) manufactured by Hand Held Products, that we bought through an
outfit called Interface Systems, Inc. out of Kansas.  Their current
use (until 6:00 AM Monday, September 8, 1997) is to scan the bar-coded
inventory, upload the data via a PC running WFWG 3.11 to a Novell server
and into the application (which is written in FoxBase).  After that time,
their use will be to scan the bar-coded inventory, upload via a PC running
Win95 to the HP3000 and into the new application running on the HP.

The problem is that the upload software that runs on the PC and
communicates
with the scanner does not run under Win 95 (I know, Denys, I can't believe
it either!).  The vendor (ISI) says that we can use Hyperterm until they
have their Win 95 act together, but the instructions they gave me for
using Hyperterm to communicate to the scanners don't work.  So, does anyone

have any ideas on getting this data from the scanner and onto the PC?

ISI said to set up Hyperterm using a "Direct to COM1" connection and then
"Capture Text" and start the upload process on the scanner.  But when I do
that I either get garbage, or nothing, usually nothing.  The scanner is
connnected to COM1 and Hyperterm will talk to a modem if I plug one
into the port.

As usual, any suggestions are appreciated.  Right now, we're keeping the
WFGW PC just to read the data from the scanner and transferring the data
to the Win95 PC using a diskette.  There has to be a better way!

Jim Phillips                            Manager of Information Systems
Voice: (915) 860-9933                   Therm-O-Link of Texas, Inc.
  Fax: (915) 860-9936                   1295 Henry Brennan
Email: [log in to unmask]       El Paso, Texas   79936