HP3000-L Archives

September 1997, Week 1

From:
Joe Geiser <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
[log in to unmask][log in to unmask], 6 Sep 1997 01:01:30 +0100493_us-ascii At 11:57 01.09.1997 -0400, you wrote:
>Now I just have to figure out what we are doing that does not correctly
>allow the subprogram that is called to read the database name, described
>as EXTERNAL, only when the subprograms are in an XL. I understood that
>GLOBAL was not allowed; time to crack the books and scan the LaserROM on
>EXTERNAL, et al. Of course, if anyone would care to provide me with some
>direction, it would be most welcome. [...]46_6Sep199701:01:[log in to unmask]
Date:
Fri, 5 Sep 1997 06:57:26 -0400
On Friday, September 05, 1997 12:26 AM, Glenn Cole
[SMTP:[log in to unmask]] wrote:
> Did any/everyone else get this in Thursday's email?

[snip]

> The Hewlett-Packard Technical Computing team will be
> announcing
> great new products on Sept. 9th. These products will include
> PC
> Workstations, our Visualize Graphics, UNIX Workstations and
> Servers,
> and Supercomputers.

[snip]

> (Was anyone else surprised by the inclusion of
> "Supercomputers"?! )
>
> Can someone please enlighten me as to why HP seemingly always
> has
> a raft of new announcements directly *after* the North
> American
> conference? (Not that this year's conference was running short
> of such announcements... ;)

Glenn,

They had one of the "supercomputers" on the vendor floor.  It's
about half the size of a 950 or 960 is physical size but
supposedly blows the doors off anything out now.  I'm not sure
as to whether it's an MPE or UX box, or whether it cares (like
the rest of the 900 and 800 line...)

Given I was either on the vendor floor (working) or in seminar,
I didn't get to hear much on this one, but the sign above the
box trumpted it's arrival...

Joe

Joe Geiser
CSI Business Solutions, LLC
140 Bristol-Oxford Valley Road, Suite 102
Langhorne, PA 19047-3083 USA
P: +1(215)945-8100  F: +1(215) 943-8408
[log in to unmask]   www.csillc.com