HP3000-L Archives

September 1997, Week 1

From:
Mark Klein <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Klein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Sep 1997 17:51:35 PST
Lars explains about shared globals and points to the Communicator as
required reading. I will have to agree!

There is another area that has proven to be a "gotcha" in Java and might
possibly hit those not aware of it. Admittedly, this is a small
probability and revolves around making certain calls from one library
and other calls while in another, but it is better to be safe than
sorry:

The Communicator articles point to some methods for converting various
POSIX libraries from RLs to XLs and effectively switching to "dynamic
we've discovered that there are a number of routines in libc.a that also
exist in /SYS/PUB/XL and can and will cause some problems wrt "shared
globals". In this case, it is the globals that these routines internally
use.

If you find that you want to convert libc to an XL, I would suggest that
you pick up the LIBS.hp3000 script from
<http://www.orbitsw.com/pub/LIBS.hp3000> and use it to convert the RLs
to XLs.

Those interested can contact me offline for further details.

Regards,

M.