HP3000-L Archives

August 1997, Week 5

From:
Joe Geiser <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 30 Aug 1997 21:25:04 -0500
On Saturday, August 30, 1997 8:09 PM, Chris Bartram
[SMTP:[log in to unmask]] wrote:

[stuff snipped]

> The 918DX would make a wonderful web server, but that's NOT
> what it was
> created for. Since you have to be a "developer" (i.e. in the
> official HP
> developers program) to get one, you won't see the "end-
> user"/public
> snapping them up and making web servers (or otherwise) out of
> them. Hopefully
> we *will* see (even modestly financed) developers snapping
them
> up like
> crazy... and hopefully we'll see more "and the HP3000" on
lists
> of supported
> systems in software release documentation.

Couldn't say it any better myself... this is what we (the
independent developers) have been clamoring for [formerly, the
"908"] - not for use as web servers or "leasing space" - but to
developing and integrating available products, so we can bolster
the "product offering" of the HP3000, which is now lagging way
behind the likes of the AS400, etc...

> A 2 or 4 user (mini-server) system for end-users might also be
> a nice
> offering, and would make wonderful web servers and batch OLTP
> systems -
> and they'd be just a bit (lot?) more secure than you're run of
> the mill
> NT or Unix server...so who knows? With Java, Netscape's
server,
> Perl, G++,
> Samba, and a really hummin built-in OLTP database with ODBC
> hooks all
> included with every box, if the box was priced competitively
> with other
> netservers, I think it might just catch on!

This is something that we look into for HP3000 users who want a
web server on an HP3000, and not an NT or Unix server - a small
918, minimally configured - but Chris is correct - with a socket
connection not taking a "user slot" - a 2 to 4 user version
would be a good alternative for this use.  One thing that has to
be made though, is the business case for it.

One last thing I would like to interject though, is that there
are some of us, who would have snapped up this box in a second
(hell, I would have cut a PO right there on the session floor
and handed it to Harry himself) - IF, I hadn't already bought
this box right here several months ago.  Now, if something along
the same lines can be made available for the OS, software and
support for the existing boxes, now we're talking (and I've
heard that this might be discussed, although I haven't heard it
officially yet)...  any comments?

Best,
Joe

Joe Geiser
CSI Business Solutions, LLC
140 Bristol-Oxford Valley Road, Suite 102
Langhorne, PA 19047-3083 USA
P: +1(215)945-8100  F: +1(215) 943-8408
[log in to unmask]   www.csillc.com