HP3000-L Archives

August 1997, Week 4

From:
Dave Gale <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dave Gale <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Aug 1997 12:30:31 -0600
From:   briankidd [SMTP:[log in to unmask]]

We have an HP3000 with a DTC, 4 various modems, and the support modem.
Some of our remote users complain of getting garbage on their screens,
not connecting at various times, and no login prompt.

[Dave Gale]  Seen this, done that.

We had Bell Phone company come out and test the lines with 2 scopes.
They say our lines are fine.  We can use a modem locally, and login
fine, but users thousands of miles away have problems with garbage on
their screen.

[Dave Gale]  Ma Bell typically only tests up to 2400 baud (at least in
Ameritech and US West territory). This is really a lesson in futility. I
had to threaten to cancel my contracts for all lines and move them to a
smaller competitor in order to get attention (ain't competition great!).
Even then I had to supply the ultimate test, using two US Robotics
V.Everything modems to call to one another and document connect rates and
if I could get a MPE/iX prompt. In this case the phone tech had to
completely move the lines to a new block at the street in order to get them
to work.

Has anyone had communications problems?

Does anyone have any modem register settings that they know will work
with a 3000?  HP doesn't support anything over 9.6K & we are using 28.8
modems.

any suggestions for us?

[Dave Gale]  Use matching modems from your vendor of choice. Stay away from
the low end pocket and sportster types. We tried this and went back to the
Courier modems. They work better under bad conditions. If you have control
over the other end of the line, make sure they use the same modem you are
using.

We maintained a site in Puerto Rico over dial-in. With out the newer
error-correction (which is best with matched modems) it was impossible.
With newer modems it was great!

Some things to watch for in configuring:
Turn off the command echo - this only serves to confuse the 3000 at connect
time.
Disable the command set - Once configured you don't want this to 'magica
lly' change.
Turn off the result codes - Again this will confuse the 3000 during
connect.

This is ussually done through the dip switches, but some modems only have
the AT command set.

Hope this helps!