HP3000-L Archives

August 1997, Week 4

From:
Doug Werth <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Doug Werth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Aug 1997 09:34:58 -0400
Stigers, Gregory - ANDOVER wrote:

Subject: Managing compile listings

>We are starting to compile entire COBOL subsystems in batch. Out of say,
>500 programs, we are getting maybe twenty errors, more questionables,
>and a large number of warnings. I would like to produce and manage
>listings to aid in finding and correcting these errors, questionables,
>and warnings.

<snip>

>Do I have other choices for managing compile listings? Is there a better
>way than I describe to manage either of these choices? Should I just
>quit whining and learn to live with it?

The COBOL compiler sets JCW to WARN0 for a compile with QUESTIONABLE errors
and FATAL0 for a compile with ERRORS. Unfortunately it does nothing to
indicate WARNINGS. With that in mind you could do the following

!file coblist=!HPJOBNAME;dev=COMPLIST,1
!continue
!cob85xl !HPJOBNAME.source,!HPJOBNAME.object,*coblist
!if jcw <> OK then
!   spoolf @;seleq=[jobnum=J!HPJOBNUM and filedes=!HPJOBNAME];delete
!   set stdlist=delete
!endif
!link ...

When you are done compiling you are left with spoolfiles in a queue of
COMPLIST (which you can create a unique device class for) and only those
that have questionables/errors. Others will be deleted automatically. The
listings can be identified by their program name instead of by $STDLIST
which will be outside of your $STDLIST monitor.

Does anyone else know of a way to trap the WARNINGS without processing the
output?

Doug Werth
Beechglen Development Inc.
513.922.0509