HP3000-L Archives

August 1997, Week 4

From:
Mark Bixby <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 27 Aug 1997 13:37:29 -0700
Apache/iX for HP 3000 MPE

http://www.cccd.edu/~markb/apacheix.html
The world's most popular (and free!) web server meets the world's best OLTP
server
Last updated August 27, 1997 @ 2000 UTC

...deletia...

Newsflash from HPWorld97

August 26, 1997

HP announced today that Netscape's FastTrack web server will be bundled
with and supported on MPE as of 1Q98. However, HP also views Apache as an
important MPE web server solution, and HP will take over my responsibility
for:

   * Verifying that each new release of Apache continues to compile under
     MPE.
   * Providing source and binary distribution directly from
     http://jazz.external.hp.com/. This will be done sometime soon after
     HPWorld. Watch this page or Jazz for the URL.
   * Completing the port of the few remaining unported modules on my To-Do
     List (no promises made as to when). If any Apache/iX users have
     independently ported any of the remaining modules, please let me know
     so I can obtain your code and forward it to the appropriate people at
     HP.

In view of these HPWorld97 announcements, I will no longer be doing any
active Apache development. However, please note that I'll still be using
Apache as my MPE web server for the time being, and I'll also be available
to answer any installation or operational questions that any Apache/iX
users may have.

Features in FastTrack but not in Apache

The following is a partial list (if you know of others, let me know):

   * Officially supported by HP.
   * SSL v3 support that is legal in USA/Canada.

Features in Apache but not in FastTrack

The following is a partial list (if you know of others, let me know):

   * Available now instead of waiting until 1Q98.
   * Virtual host support via HTTP/1.1 hostname header.
   * The optional ability to use Perl as a dynamic HTML scripting language.

Apache vs. FastTrack Benchmarks

Not yet known how the speed of the web servers will compare under MPE. When
I know, I'll let you know.
--
Mark Bixby                      E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Coast Community College Dist.   Web: http://www.cccd.edu/~markb/