HP3000-L Archives

August 1997, Week 4

From:
Bruce Senn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 25 Aug 1997 21:35:34 -0500
 In <[log in to unmask]> [log in to unmask] writes:

> > Don't even get me started!  Our 918 is *still* running on 2 drives after >
> > 3 visits from the SE.  This is another thing that I don't remember >
> > happening with HP-IB.
> >
> > Jim Phillips                            Manager of Information Systems

You know, Jim, I think HP is losing its lead in the service side of the
business.  You now have almost a complete new system, several pieces of
hardware replaced following blind leads.

Our local HP guys are top drawer (and then some), but I noticed a big
difference in the approach to the 918 than to the Series 70.  With the
70 we always had somebody who was trained, thorough, careful, a problem
solver, and who got it fixed!  When our 918 lost ldev 2 two weeks after
installation, HP sent a guy with a disk drive under his arm who said,
"Gee, I don't know a whole lot about these MPE systems..."

It's the 90's.  Hardware is cheap.  When in doubt, reboot.  If that doesn't
work, throw hardware at it.

Hope you are really out to the woods.

Bruce.

   Bruce J. Senn                             Phone:  (518) 388-6664
   Senior System Manager                     FAX:    (518) 388-6458
   Union College                   Internet:  [log in to unmask]
   Schenectady, NY 12308