HP3000-L Archives

August 1997, Week 4

From:
Jim Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jim Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Aug 1997 17:49:14 -0400
Okay, so everyone else is at HPWorld, sucking up all those free giveaways.
I'm stuck here in El Paso for at least two weeks. <sigh>

Anyway, for everyone following this escapade, our 918 appears to be fixed.
HP was out on Saturday (the next-flighted in a tape drive) and couldn't
get the tape drive fixed.  The CE found that Ldev was terminated
incorrectly
(some jumpers set wrong), so they fixed that, but decided to come back on
Sunday and replace the MFIO board (again).  But Sunday morning, Ldev 3 hung

again.  HP came out as scheduled and with the help of the HPRC, determined
that the Peripheral Interface Guide the CE had was incorrect, and Ldev 1
still was not terminated properly.  So after replacing Ldev 1 (which I
believe was truly bad), Ldev 3 twice, the tape drive, the MFIO board
(twice),
all the SCSI cables and terminators, and the backplane of the HASS, we now
think that it is fixed.  At least it's been up for 24 hours straight.

The moral of the story:  Sometimes the FM (as in RTFM) is not to be taken
as inspired scripture from an infallible source.

Jim Phillips                            Manager of Information Systems
Voice: (915) 860-9933                   Therm-O-Link, Inc. of Texas
Fax:   (915) 860-9936                   1295 Henry Brennan
Email: [log in to unmask]       El Paso, Texas  79936