HP3000-L Archives

August 1997, Week 3

From:
Frank Letts <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Frank Letts <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Aug 1997 17:23:57 -0700
Plea for help issued to anyone that will listen!

We have a 3000/928 running mpe5.5 and samba 1.9.16 p9, being used
almost totally as a file server.  It *should* be faster than a
scalded dog, but, right now, our users consider it just a dog :(

Clients are pc's running win/95, win/nt, workgroups and 2or3 *nix
boxes.  Slow applicationsare everywhere, and range from access db to
word documents to autocad drawings.  Our users are spending too much
time drinking coffee while waiting for their net-based aps to either
launch or complete, and I'm concerned that it's bad for their health.
(Plus, if it doesn't get better, I expect to be mugged on my way to the
parking lot at night or I'll be applying at the local convenience stores
for a job :(

We tried the suggestd sock opts (TCP_NODELAY, SO_RCVBUF & SO_SNDBUF)
but POSIX doesn't support them.  Any alternates for MPE/IX?

help!