HP3000-L Archives

August 1997, Week 3

From:
Jim Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jim Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Aug 1997 13:18:23 -0400
Well, here it is, on the afternoon of the third day since we lost
two disk drives and we are still limping along with only two out of
three drives functional.

The SE came out today to install a replacement 2GB drive in the HASS
enclosure.  No problem, right?  HAH!  After installing the drive and
rebooting, it mounted okay, but showed up in DSTAT in UNKNOWN status.
VOLUTIL's SCRATCHVOL and INITVOL wouldn't work on it.  I asked about
doing a FORMATVOL and the SE said, "Yeah, Let's try that".  After a
few minutes of FORMATVOL, he said, "Break out of it and let's try
some diagnostics".  Well, after aborting the FORMATVOL, the drive
was gone!  Didn't show up in DSTAT, MAPPER couldn't see it, nothing!

After another half hour of messing around, the SE decided to bring
another mech out at a later (unspecified) time.  I hope he uses
this time to find out how to install a SCSI drive.

So, before he gets back here and really messes things up, does anyone
know the proper procedure to get a drive recognized when it's in
UNKNOWN status?  Thanks.

Jim Phillips                            Manager of Information Systems
E-Mail: [log in to unmask]      Therm-O-Link, Inc.
Phone: (330) 527-2124                   P. O. Box 285
  Fax: (330) 527-2123                   Garrettsville, Ohio  44231