HP3000-L Archives

August 1997, Week 3

From:
Andreas Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 21 Aug 1997 15:13:39 +0200
we just hit the same, applied patch STREDG0A, but one week later the same
SA.
Further dump analysis showed that a fine POSIX script with piping caused
the problem.
Process tree:
JSMAIN
   CI
      SH
         SH
         CUT
         SORT
         SORT
Multiprocessor system and multiprocessing (this pipe) and high memory
utilization may result in a memory page absent error and this SA.
Recommendation of the German RC: eliminate the pipe (callci SHOWJOB|grep -c
...|sort ...|sort ...)
by working in single processes with temporaer files:
callci SHOWJOB > pipe_0_file
grep -c pipe_0_file > pipe_1_file
sort ... pipe_1_file > pipe_2_file .... and so on ....

On the other hand, the original piped script worked fine for approx 2
months 80 times a day without causing this SA ... but I changed it to the
recs ...

Best regards, Andreas Schmidt, CSC Global Information Utility - Europe

dunlop_john @ JPMORGAN.COM
21.08.97 19:10

Please respond to [log in to unmask]