HP3000-L Archives

August 1997, Week 3

[log in to unmask][log in to unmask]@;show;keep;create
>> TURBO-STORE/RESTORE VERSION C.50.13 HP36398A <<
(C) 1986 HEWLETT-PACKARD CO.
WED, AUG 20, 1997, 10:33 AM

'CREATE' OPTION DEFAULTING TO 'CREATE=ACCOUNT,GROUP,CREATOR,PATH'
BASED ON YOUR CAPABILITIES (S/R 502)

INVOKING CMSTORE TO READ MPEv MEDIA
MPE-XL Transport Store-Restore, B.79.06 (C) Hewlett-Packard Co., 1988.
RESTORE ;@[log in to unmask]@;SHOW;KEEP;CREATE;LDEV= 7
WED, AUG 20, 1997, 10:34 AM [...]39_20Aug199714:46:[log in to unmask]
Date:
Wed, 20 Aug 1997 15:59:23 +0000
Hi jim,

You wrote

<snip>
> Ldev 1 crashed last night (the bad news) right after the backup
> finished (the good news).  We have 3 of the 2GB Seagate drives on
> this machine.  Is this what I can expect from these drives?  That is,
> I'm used to the reliability of the HP-manufactured drives, are the
> Seagate drives less reliable?  Or am I just having bad luck? (Dang,
> that black cloud keeps following me everywhere! :-))

I installed 30 2 gb Seagates (mirrored) about 9 months  ago and had 3 fail
within 2 days, (fortunatly each was only half of a mirrored pair).
They were replaced and   I have added sixteen more to the same system
with no further failures. We have also purchased about the same
number of 4 gb drives within the last year and the only problem I
have had is with people filling the damm thing up!. So they seem to
follow the same general rules as most drives I'v bought,
dead-in-a-day or they last forever. Hope this raises your comfort
level and lowers yer blood pressure.
John "Danger" Skelton