HP3000-L Archives

August 1997, Week 3

From:
Jim Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jim Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Aug 1997 10:06:57 -0400
Well, I have had a very exciting week so far.  Too exciting, in fact.
As previously reported our new 918 lost its Ldev 1 (a SeaGate 32550
2GB drive).  After the SE replaced the drive and we successfully
installed from our SLT, we start a full restore from our full
backup (thank God for backup tapes!).  The SE left and, of course,
that's when we had more problems.  The restore would go along so
far, and then hang.  I couldn't break out of the restore, the DDS
drive would not eject the tape, so I had to reset the system.
After two more restore attempts with the same result, I called the
RC again and had the SE paged.  While waiting for the SE to call
back, I re-INSTALLed from the SLT and again attempted to restore
with the same results.

The SE ran some diagnostics and determined that, for some inexplicable
reason, Ldev 3 (another SeaGate 32550 drive, but a Jamaica?) was
having problems.  Another INSTALL and another restore confirmed
that the restore was hanging with the tape drive activity light
on and the Ldev 3 activity light on.  So, we disconnected Ldev 3
and (after another INSTALL), finally got the system reloaded, albeit
with 4GB of disc instead of 6GB.

So, in answer to my question about drive reliablity, I have to say
I'm not impressed so far with SeaGate drives.  Two out of three drives
failing within 24 hours is a pretty poor showing.  The SE will be
back today to replace the Jamaica drive, so we'll see what else is
in store (pun intended :-)) for us.

Jim Phillips                            Manager of Information Systems
E-Mail: [log in to unmask]      Therm-O-Link, Inc.
Phone: (330) 527-2124                   P. O. Box 285
  Fax: (330) 527-2123                   Garrettsville, Ohio  44231