HP3000-L Archives

August 1997, Week 2

From:
Bill Bennett CSY <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Bennett CSY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Aug 1997 20:57:16 GMT
On Tue, 5 Aug 1997 10:39:20 -0400, [log in to unmask] wrote:
:      Dear Listers,

:      I, like many of you out there, want to have a totally IP-based HP3K
:      environment WITHOUT the kludge associated with the current DTC
:      solution.  Working on that premise, I believe that I have discovered a
:      viable alternative.

I'm sorry, the DTC may not be "standard" but I wouldn't call it a Kludge ;-).

:      To date, I have successfully tested several VPlus and Wingspan
:      applications running on an HP700/92 terminal attached to a plain old
:      non-HP brand Telnet terminal server.  I am running MPE/iX 5.5 with the
:      latest express 2 release on a model 918RX box.  I am unable to see any
:      difference in response time or screen presentation from a proprietary
:      NS/VT or DTC session.  It seems that the latest version of the
:      Telnet/iX server software supports block-mode and function keys
:      perfectly.  I encourage any of you out there with a "generic" Telnet
:      terminal server to give this solution a try.

It's great that is working for you, all that extra functionally in Telnet/iX
(support of block-mode and functions keys) is not available in standard
telnet.  Because of the added (or should I say "kludged" in) functionality
there is more overhead to the Telnet/iX connection than there is to an
NS/VT or DTC connection.  So you can't run as many Telnet/iX users as you
can NS/VT or DTC users.  I'm not sure at what point you would see the
difference (I would guess greater than 10 and less than 100). The Bottom
line is if you have a lot of users, converting over to using only Telnet/iX
may not be the best thing.

Bill Bennett                                            [log in to unmask]
Hewlett Packard Company
Commercial Systems Division
     *** Speaking for myself and not my company ***