HP3000-L Archives

August 1997, Week 2

From:
Mark Bixby <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 12 Aug 1997 15:16:36 -0700
Jim Alton writes:

> I'm about to start investigating a port of LDAP to MPE/iX under the
> assumption that no commercial product exists.

I'm not aware of any commercial LDAP servers for MPE.

>  First, is my assumption correct?  If so, is anyone aware of other
> efforts to port this code?  Any suggestions to offer before I lose what
> little hair I have left?

The UMich server is dead, and in any case had a fair amount of bugs (after
*much* debugging I developed some patches to fix badly broken referral code).

Critical Angle has taken over the UMich code and added new features and
additional bugfixes:

        http://www.critical-angle.com/sw/slapd/

I suspect most of your work will be mundane porting issues; slapd is a fairly
simple TCP sockets server.  *BUT* just in case, you may wish to place that
toupee order now.  ;-)

I had to go pretty deeply into the UMich slapd code to debug the referral
problem.  The code is complex and there are practically *no* comments.  Have
fun!

Note: The LDAP server does not come with a back-end database.  You will have to
port one of db/dbm/gdbm.  I'm running UMich slapd with gdbm under HPUX.  But
if I had a choice, I'd say port db or dbm, because those are both missing
pieces that Apache/iX would like to be able to use (FWIW, sendmail could also
use these).

Further note: I believe the LDAP stuff uses an autoconfigure script before you
can compile.  Most autoconfigure scripts will be utterly broken under MPE
because they expect unresolved externals to generate errors at compile/link
time.  MPE of course will only report unresolved externals at run time.

You have two choices: 1) change all of the test autoconfigure programs to
generate an external reference to the symbol in question, then call exit().
Compile the test program and attempt to run it.  If the run fails, you assume
the symbol in question does not exist under MPE.  2) give up on autoconfigure
and manually determine what exists or doesn't exist and manually assign the
autoconfigure variables to true/false/whatever.

Let me know if you have any further questions or run into any porting
dead-ends.
--
Mark Bixby                      E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Coast Community College Dist.   Web: http://www.cccd.edu/~markb/