HP3000-L Archives

August 1997, Week 1

From:
Jim Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jim Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Aug 1997 21:33:03 EDT
On Mon, 4 Aug 1997 16:38:07 -0700, Duane Percox <[log in to unmask]> muses:

>It has been awhile since anyone railed about HP's lack of commitment
>to the HP 3000. In fact this list has been somewhat docile regarding
>the entire topic. Does anybody care anymore? Or has HP convinced
>everyone they *really do care* about the 3k?

<snip cold-chill-blowing story>

Having been one of those who in the past has railed about HP's lack of
commitment to the HP3K, and being in the office at 9 PM doing some stuff
that can only be done after hours, I feel eminently qualified to tackle
Duane's question. :-)

The short answer/question: What can we do about HP?  We have talked and
screamed and cajoled and cried and tried everything short of an LBO and
what have we got to show for it?  Some trifles thrown our way to keep
the children quiet.  No great commitment to MPE.  No great commitment
to Image.  HP seems bent on working hand-in-hand with The Great Satan
(AKA Bill Gates) and I predict that we will see the demise of the
HP3000 soon (like within 5 years).  Well, at the very least, HP will
cease selling new HP3000's and will be selling conversion services to
move all the HP3000 people to NT boxes.  Not a pretty picture.
Fortunately for those of us who make their living on HP3000's, the
secondary market will remain strong for some time; but let's face
facts here:  HP has a superior product and refuses to market it.  And
nothing will kill a product quicker than bad marketing unless it's
no marketing.  HP would rather "go with the flow" and whatever the
Latest Thing is.  It's probably a lot easier for their marketing folks:
Just see what MicroSoft is doing today and mimic that.

I would love to be proved wrong on my dire predictions, but unless
something drastic happens at HP the HP3000 will be allowed to die an
(un)natural death.

Remember "The race is not always to the fleet, nor the battle to the
strong, but that's the way to bet".

Hmmm. I guess I'm just in a bad mood tonight (working the night after
working the entire day does that to me).

Jim Phillips                            Manager of Information Systems
E-Mail: [log in to unmask]      Therm-O-Link, Inc.
Phone: (330) 527-2124                   P. O. Box 285
  Fax: (330) 527-2123                   Garrettsville, Ohio  44231