HP3000-L Archives

August 1997, Week 1

From:
Mark Bixby <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 4 Aug 1997 08:48:56 -0700
Mark Wilkinson writes:
> shell/iX> perl test.pl
> 1..14
> Can't find 'boot_MD5' symbol in /usr/local/lib/perl5/auto/MD5/MD5.sl
>  at /usr/local/lib/perl5/MD5.pm line 20
> BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at test.pl line 12.
> not ok 1
> shell/iX>

I've seen this before, but my Monday morning too-hot-to-sleep last night brain
cells are a little sluggish, so I don't remember the exact details.  ;-)

It might go something like this.  MD5.sl is really a NMXL that didn't get
created properly because the released port of gcc can't automatically build
shared libraries (NMXLs) on MPE.  You'll need to go into :LINKEDIT and manually
create MD5.sl, doing ADDXL from each .o file (NMOBJ) and .a file (NMRL).

I believe Mark Klein is working on the shared library issue.

> shell/iX> make test
> PERL_DL_NONLAZY=1 /usr/local/bin/perl -I./blib/arch -I./blib/lib
> -I/usr/local/li
> b/mpeix -I/usr/local/lib/perl5 -e 'use Test::Harness qw(&runtests
> $verbose); $ve
> rbose=0; runtests @ARGV;' t/*.t
> times not implemented at /usr/local/lib/perl5/Benchmark.pm line 274.
> make: *** [test_dynamic] Error 2

The public release of Perl for MPE didn't include support for times() which is
required by most "make test" scripts.

MPE POSIX *does* support times(), so I re-built my copy of Perl to include it.
It was a fairly time consuming and gruesome process due to the lack of gcc
shared library support described above.

Another missing function was select().  I suspect the Perl autoconfigure
didn't like it because it doesn't support terminal I/O under MPE.  But it works
just fine for sockets, so I included select() also when I rebuilt Perl to
include times().

The publicly available version of Perl should really be rebuilt to include
both times() and select().
--
Mark Bixby                      E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Coast Community College Dist.   Web: http://www.cccd.edu/~markb/