HP3000-L Archives

August 1997, Week 1

From:
Mark Landin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Landin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Aug 1997 15:45:39 GMT
In article <[log in to unmask]>, [log in to unmask] says...

>At 10:23 AM 7/31/97 -0400, Jeff Kell wrote:
>>Fourth, I'm close to considering breaking the newsgroup linkage, given
>>the ungodly amount of trash recently originating from there; but I know
>>many of our readers prefer the newsgroup format.
>
>Can the newsgroup link be made one-way?  That is, can we say that postings
>to hp3000-l will be passed to comp.sys.hp.mpe but postings to c.s.h.m will
>*not* be passed back to hp3000-l?  If legitimate group participants are
>aware that posts must be submitted via email, then users who choose to can
>still *read* postings through the newsgroup.  You might even be able to get
>the gateway software to append a footer to messages passed to the newsgroup
>reading "postings to this group *must* be sent to [log in to unmask]"
>
>Or would that just compound confusion?

I think this would be confusing. It would require me to start up email to reply
to an article I read with Usenet.

I know the moderation task is enourmous. I am not sure exactly what the
mechanics are, but would it be possible to only review posts from people who
are NOT on the mailing list? For instance, since most of us are ON the mailing
list, those messages need not be moderated and can pass back and forth without
attention. Posts from people NOT on the mailing list can be reviewed by the
moderator. I know this still requires HAVING a moderator, but perhaps it would
greatly reduce the volume of material to look at every day.
--
Mark Landin
T. D. Williamson, Inc.