HP3000-L Archives

August 1997, Week 1

From:
Paul Crompton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Crompton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Aug 1997 11:24:06 -0400

>Our HP957 is currently down due the system clock showing 1991-10-18.
>We had a scheduled power down over and when the HP came up, the date
>appeared to be correct, as does a :Showtime or login.
>However;
>When we run Speedware V7, the $DATE returns the 1991-10-18 and a time
>of 4:00.
>
>Is this a Speedware problem, (I have a call in to them) or is there
>another clock setting on the HP I'm not aware of?
>
>Thanks in advance.
>Ed
>

>Edward Effinger
>Senior Programmer/Analyst
>Conestoga College of Applied Arts & Technology
>299 Doon Valley Drive
>Kitchener,  Ontario,  Canada  N2G 4M4
>Tel  : 519-748-5220 Ext. 379
>Voice: 519-748-5220 Ext. 379
>Fax  : 519-748-3505
>Email: [log in to unmask]

Yes, I have had this problem with Speedware also here after doing some
research and talking to a lot of techs both at Speedware and HP this is
the short answer.

The system clock should be set to Greenich Mean Standard Time, then when
you bring your system up it asks you the current time. HP then creates
an offset from Greenich to the current time that is used for SHOWTIME
and most intrinsic that use the clock.

Speedware on the otherhand reads the system clock then uses its own
offset. So if your system clock is not set correctly the $DATES and
$TIMES variables are way off. The only way around this is to bring your
system down and reset the system clock and the internal offset.

Paul Crompton
Lee County Clerk of Courts
(941)335-2270
email: [log in to unmask]