HP3000-L Archives

August 1997, Week 1

From:
Neil Harvey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Neil Harvey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Aug 1997 08:09:24 +0200
I'm not sure of the exact part number, but we implemented a cheque
(check) reconciliation system for a client in 1985. As the cheques were
printed on a 2680 laser printer, a bar code representing the statement
number was printed on the cheque. These were returned to the client by
the bank after clearing, and the bar code reader was used to enter each
cheque as a deposited cheque.

The bar code reader consisted of a wand attached to a small flat box
(with processor on board), and this was attached to the keyboard of a
2392A terminal. The 92916A number sounds familiar.

At the time, there was also a different model that attached to an HP150
PC - remember the HP150?
Incidentally, we also had a Nomad - HP's first portable - complete with
the HP-IL connectivity kit. This was a sort of proprietary LapLink to
connect the Nomad to HP150's.

This solution worked well, and was only dropped when the banks managed
to catch up with technology, and allowed us to download statements
electronically each day.

Regards

Neil