HP3000-L Archives

August 1997, Week 1

From:
Dave Gale <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dave Gale <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Aug 1997 12:00:28 -0600
-----Original Message-----
From:   David Mullins [SMTP:[log in to unmask]]

We use NSD's JobRescue for spoolfile management and JobTime for scheduling.
 We find them extremely easy to use and the support has been great.

NSD  800.538.3818    www.nsd.com

These products will probably provide the functionality you are looking for.
 While there are more robust products available, the NSD products are very
reasonably priced.

[Dave Gale]  We USED to use NSDs solutions (JobRescue and JobTime). What I
found was when they worked, things went great. When they didn't work, I had
major production problems and very irate users. NSDs response time to
problems was anything but spectacular. In one instance I demanded the
company's money back because the product simply didn't work.

I don't want to go into a long story, but we were sold something that
apparently wasn't designed to be used the way we used it. In short, I found
that you can create a great command script to launch jobs on your system
(especially if you are using Security/3000). And it's not too hard to write
a program that monitors standard lists for phrases like "PROCESS
TERMINATED". In fact our whole process is automated from launching to
printing with distribution lists.

If you are going to invest into this, spend the time and get something that
will allow you to do business your way, not the other way arround.

My US$0.02