HP3000-L Archives

August 1997, Week 1

From:
Mark Bixby <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 5 Aug 1997 09:00:08 -0700
[log in to unmask] writes:
>      In addition to this DTC replacement, I am awaiting the arrival of a
>      non-HP brand print server that may be able to connect to older
>      serial-connection-only printers (UPS is slowing down the wheels of
>      progress).  The glossy literature claims that it knows "HP serial
>      protocol".  I'll inform the list as soon as possible whether or not
>      the "new" network printing OS enhancement will work with this device.

Beware of third-party claims of HP compatibility.

We tried to use one such box with 5.5 network printing.  Turns out the
compatibility only refered to the TCP port 9000 (?) connect-and-dump protocol
for delivering the output to the box.  The box DID NOT support the required
SNMP MIB that 5.5 network printing uses to obtain status information about
the printer.  The ":spooler nnn;start" command would start, but you would
get an SNMP timeout message shortly thereafter, and the spooler would die.
--
Mark Bixby                      E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Coast Community College Dist.   Web: http://www.cccd.edu/~markb/