HP3000-L Archives

August 1997, Week 1

From:
Jon Diercks <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jon Diercks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Aug 1997 10:28:41 -0400
For those interested:

I did end up rebooting last night.  Apparently the locked-up directory entry
even prevented =SHUTDOWN from completing normally.  It got through aborting
most other sessions and jobs, but the hung ones never did clear, and the box
just sat there for 20 minutes with a D100 on the hex display.  So I gave up
and ^B/TC/DUMP'ed it so HP can take a look at what happened.

General response on this topic seems to have been that yes, there are some
ugly problems that can come up when mixing CIOR and Posix shell
piping/redirection.  I was pointed to some alternate strategies for
accomplishing my original task without involving CIOR, and some patches were
mentioned which may be related to the problem.  I'll investigate all those
further when time permits.

Thanks everyone for your help.

(original post)
In the "yet another way POSIX can shoot itself in the foot" category...

:echo awk 'BEGIN{print "Hi there"}' >jpdtmp
:save jpdtmp
:file jpdtmp,old
:sh <*jpdtmp

Something like this caused my session to hang, un-abortable by abortjob,
nscontrol;killsess, or abortcon.  Furthermore, the directory entry for
jpdtmp seems to be locked up by this process in such a way that any other
process attempting to access the file (including :listfile or :store) hangs
in the same unbreakable state.  HPRC tells me a reboot is my only option.
Anybody else got any ideas?

And more to the point, anybody got any comments on why the above doesn't
work, and perhaps another way to do it?  Thanks.

Jon Diercks * Systems Manager         Computing Services
[log in to unmask] (PGP available)     Anderson University
http://rowlf.csv.anderson.edu/        1100 East Fifth St
(765)641-4305 * FAX (765)641-3851     Anderson, IN 46012