HP3000-L Archives

July 1997, Week 5

From:
Nick Demos <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nick Demos <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Jul 1997 15:38:38 -0400
----------
> From: Jim Phillips

> Bruce Senn writes:
>
> >"Lifetime" support, warranty, service, guaranty at any price, 0 or
non-0,
> >is a nebulous concept at best.
>-------------------------------------

> Well, I don't know about that.  Take the Sears Die Hard automotive
battery
> for instance.  Way back when it was first introduced, it had a lifetime
> warranty (not pro-rated).  The warranty was simple:  If the battery ever
> failed, for any reason, you got a new one.  I did.  Once, anyway.  By the
> time the my first battery failed, they had changed to warranty to a
5-year
> pro-rated warranty.  And that's the warranty I got on my second battery.
> Was I "cheated"?  Technically, no, because I got my replacement battery
> free.  When the second one failed, I had to pay.  But that's because I
> accepted the terms of the new battery warranty.  I got the second one
> free because that was the warranty on it.  They didn't try to weasel out
> of giving me a new battery (of course, I had the paper work to back it
> up).
>
> So, in the case of Computer Associates and Simply Accounting, they sold
> some versions of it with "lifetime free support" and that's what they
> should be held to.  They can change the support agreement on subsequent
> versions (or even subsequent sales of the same version), but a deal is a
> deal.  The reason I'm aware of this is that I have exchanged mail with
> some dissatisfied CA/SA users who tried to get the free support they were
> promised when they bought it and CA told them to buzz off.
, Ohio  44231

And I still believe they are wrong and I will not buy any CA
product or recommend one.

Now there are people who HONOR waranties.  My experience with
an automotive battery was much better (and better than the above).
I bought a J. C. Penney life-time wrranty battery.  It eventually
failed - I got a new battery.  When that failed J. C. Penney had
gotten out of the automotive supplies business and sold it to
Firestone.  When I mentioned that I had a dead battery,  at the
Penney store, they said "Have you tried Firestone?"
I said I hadn't and got a rejoinder like and look like "don't bug
 us".  I said to myself "well I guess that's that", but
 went to the Firestone (ex Penney) outlet
anyway (it was right next door).  They looked at my
paper work and said "Here is our equivalent battery will it do?"
I got a replacement  battery at no charge.

In a way I am sorry to say that I junked the car before it
required a fourth battery.

You can  guess where my product loyalties lie.

A good business stands behind what it sells (or gives away as an
inducement to buy another product).

BTW we moved from Simply Money to Quicken Books.

Regards,

Nick Demos  [log in to unmask]
My opinions are ny own and I stand behind them.

Performance Software Group
Tel. (410) 788-6777 Fax (410) 788-4476