HP3000-L Archives

July 1997, Week 4

From:
Ken Vickers <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ken Vickers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Jul 1997 13:59:07 +0100
At 14:28 22/07/97 -0700, Friedrich wrote:

>> >Hi,
>> >
>> >does anybody know why the TIME stamp for entries in a NETWARE/iX print
>> >queue as shown under POSIX (ls -l q*) and as shown under NOVELL (dir )
>> >are not the same.
>> >
>> >e.g.
>> >
>> >POSIX says: ..... Jul 22 00:36 job_116.que
>> >
>> >DIR   says: JOB_116.QUE ......... 22.07.97  11:36
>> >
>> >HOW COME?
>> >
>> >TIA,
>> >
>> >Friedrich
>> >

>> Hi Friedrich,
>>
>> Could it be your Posix timezone (TZ) needs setting?
>>

>Hi Ken,
>
>Oh dear - you seem to be right. I chrosschecked with a "normal" MPE file
>- and *OOPS* there is the difference too.
>
>But now - SORRY - how do I change the POSIX timezone. I thought changing
>my MPE clock would be enough.
>
>TIA,
>
>Friedrich "still uninformed POSIX novice" Harasleben
>
>> Are you nearly daylight saving?
>>
>> Ken Vickers

Hi again,

In MPE

:print tztab.lib.sys;page=0

<pruned down a lot!>

# Mitteleuropaeische Zeit, Mitteleuropaeische Sommerzeit
MEZ-1MESZ

# Middle European Time, Middle European Time Daylight Savings Time
MET-1METDST

# Greenwich Mean Time, British Summer Time
GMT0BST

# Pacific Standard Time, Pacific Daylight Time
PST8PDT

# Eastern Standard Time, Eastern Daylight Time
EST5EDT

# Central Standard Time, Central Daylight Time
CST6CDT

# Mountain Standard Time, Mountain Daylight Time
MST7MDT

# Atlantic Standard Time, Atlantic Daylight Time
AST4ADT

# Newfoundland Standard Time, Newfoundland Daylight Time
NST3:30NDT

# Eastern Standard Time, Central Daylight Time (US: Indiana)
EST5CDT

# Aleutian Standard Time, Aleutian Daylight Time
AST10ADT

# Yukon Standard Time, Yukon Daylight Time
YST9YDT

# Western European Time, Western European Time Daylight Savings Time
WET0WETDST

# Portuguese Winter Time, Portuguese Summer Time
PWT0PST

# South Africa Stardard Time, South Africa Daylight Time
SAST-2SADT

# Australian Central Standard Time, Australian Central Daylight Time
CST-9:30CDT

# Australian Eastern Standard Time, Australian Eastern Daylight Time
EST-10EDT

# New Zealand Stardard Time, New Zealand Daylight Time
#
NZST-12NZDT

# The timezones named above should be used in preference to those below except
# for dates prior to 1987 for Tasmania.  US and Canada use the same rules so
# the simpler timezone strings above will work for both countries.

# Australian Eastern Standard Time, Australian Eastern Daylight Time
(Tasmania)
# (same as EST-10EDT for 1987 - 2038)
EST-10EDT#Tasmania

# Pacific Standard Time, Pacific Daylight Time (Canada)
PST8PDT#Canada

# Mountain Standard Time, Mountain Daylight Time (Canada)
MST7MDT#Canada

# Central Standard Time, Central Daylight Time (Canada)
CST6CDT#Canada

# Eastern Standard Time, Eastern Daylight Time (Canada)
EST5EDT#Canada

# Eastern Standard Time, Central Daylight Time (US: Indiana)
#
# This entry is for backward compatibility only, the correct entry
# is the EST5CDT entry above.  This entry is incorrect because the
# "6" in EST6CDT below should be a "5".  Other than the "6" being
# changed to "5", this entry and EST5CDT are the same and the
# end result of using either is identical.
#
EST6CDT

Pick your time zone and enter:

:setvar TZ "GMT0BST"

Within shell (SH.HPBIN.SYS)

export TZ=GMT0

Check for a .profile within you home path when you enter shell as this line
should be setup.

Be aware that there are more than 2 ways of telling the time on an HP3000.

In the BOOT menu before bringing up the machine you have access to the
hardware clock.

When you bring up MPE you can set the time. This time is set almost as a
timezone from the hardware clock which is NOT altered by what you enter.

Then you have the POSIX time!

Good luck

Ken Vickers

Manager LINKWAY Development and Support