HP3000-L Archives

July 1997, Week 3

From:
Chris Bartram <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 18 Jul 1997 12:31:05 -0400
 In <[log in to unmask]> [log in to unmask] writes:

> >Once you get SLIP/PPP access to your LAN, you can use your PC
> just as if it were directly on the LAN in the first place, including access
> to your 3000.<
>
> Unfortunately, this is not a "Budgeted" thing. I just wondered if there was
> anything out there in freewareland that I could stick on the 3K and then
> dial in to it and establish a SLIP/PPP Connection that's all.

The low-budget($) way to go is to dredge up a surplus 386 or better pc, pick
up a Linux distribution CD, and set it up as a PPP server. Hook up whatever
modems you have to the serial ports, a lan card in the PC, and you can dial
into the network via the PC and get to the 3000 or anything else you want
to allow it to get to.

Big caveat --> Low budget ($$) <> Low budget (time)...  if you're not
familiar with Unix, you will likely have difficulty. It does work though
and it can be put together easily with (basically) surplus equipment.

              -Chris Bartram