HP3000-L Archives

July 1997, Week 3

Date:
Thu, 17 Jul 1997 02:39:18 GMT
In article <[log in to unmask]>, Wirt Atmar
<[log in to unmask]> writes:
<Stuff snipped>

>Exactly the right answer, Neil! (and that's just not speaking as an
>enthusiast of the HP3000. This is probably the safest, easiest,
>fastest-to-retrieve method of managing a large database of images).
>
>Posix-name addressing schemes aren't necessary to success, however.
Standard
>MPE names will still give you 7 decimal places (10 million images). An
>example might be:
>
>     I0000001.year1997.images
>
>With each years' new images, the counting sequence could be begun over
again
>in a new group.
>
>However, the naming scheme is unimportant to Neil's solution. Whatever
naming
>scheme is chosen, the name will simply become a bit of text in a X40
dataitem
>field.
>
>Wirt Atmar

You might also consider using a lockword or ACD to make sure a user
doesn't accidently purge these files ... you could store this in the Image
database too!!

Blobs in AllBASE do produce acceptable speeds ... even over phone lines
but doing
compressed JPEG and expanding at the desktop may be a good use for the
power of the desktop.

Birket

Birket Foster
M. B. Foster Associates .. the 1-800-ANSWERS people!
(613) 448-2333 or (613) 448-2588 (FAX)
(Thanks for your support of our 32bit DataExpress ODBCLink Driver)