HP3000-L Archives

July 1997, Week 3

From:
"F. Alfredo Rego" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
F. Alfredo Rego
Date:
Mon, 21 Jul 1997 15:40:15 -0600
Joe Geiser <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>CSI Business Solutions, LLC, will be announcing at HPWorld, an OCX
>for use with WIndows-based, client-server applications, which will
>handle every date format supported by Adager.

>This OCX was demonstrated on the HP Cure2000 Telecast, and will be
>demonstrated in total as part of the Adager Sub-booth in the HP booth
>as well as the Adager booth at HPWorld with a working Client-Server
>application.  Databases will be transformed, and the application
>using this OCX will perform the same after Adager transformation - so
>come and check it out.
>
>My thanks to Adager, and in particular, Alfredo Rego, Rene Woc and
>Fred White, for providing the detailed specifications and the
>springboard to launch CSI Business Soluition's first product.

Our pleasure, indeed.  One of the beauties of the open approach is that
creative folks, such as Joe Geiser, can take advantage of solid and
time-tested foundations to build great structures on them.  I wish Joe and
his colleagues the very best.

On a related message, Nick Demos <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>However I can't help thinking that many of our problems
>would not exist if HP had put a date data type into
>Image years ago as I suggested (at Reno, pre-IPROF.
>
>I bring this up not to pat myself on the back for being right
>(do you believe that?),

Nick DESERVES a good pat on the back.

... but for another reason.  IT POINTS OUT
>A SERIOUS PROBLEM WITH HP'S APPROACH: "We respond to what the
>customer wants".  HP HAS TO TAKE A LEADERSHIP POSITION.
>Customeers at the time did not take the year 2000 problem
>seriously and therefore did not vote strongly for my
>sugestion in the enhancement balloting.  Standardizing on a
>date format then would not have completely solved the problem
>but would have reduced it considerably.

I could not agree more: HP HAS TO TAKE A LEADERSHIP POSITION.

 _______________
|               |
|            r  |  Alfredo                     [log in to unmask]
|          e    |                           http://www.adager.com
|        g      |  F. Alfredo Rego               Tel 208 726-9100
|      a        |  Manager, R & D Labs           Fax 208 726-2822
|    d          |  Adager Corporation
|  A            |  Sun Valley, Idaho 83353-3000            U.S.A.

                                                                .