HP3000-L Archives

July 1997, Week 3

From:
Lars Appel <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lars Appel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Jul 1997 23:31:20 +0200
At 16:55 18.07.1997 +0100, Mark W wrote:
>Has anyone got any idea of which is the best Webserver to start with? -
>NCSA or Apache. I'm inclined to try out Apache (don't ask me why <g>). I
>got the OpenMarket Demo up and running a while back and was surprised at
>how easy it was. Are the others just as simple to set up?

I agree with Mark B and several others that the NCSA server is ancient
compared to Apache (just consider the FastCGI and httpd pools). The NCSA
port does CGI quite nicely though (I am using it on 5.0 for quite long).

The point I'd like to add is somewhat different:

If the IPROF Freeware Tape contains the HP 3000 Web Starter Kit under the
label "NCSA Web Server" then you might want to keep in mind that this is
slightly more i.e. NCSA Web Server, LYNX Web Browser (character mode i.e.
runs on 3000 terminals if no GUI platform available), Mosaic PC Web Browser
as well as a collection of sample/useful HTML documents (so you have some
web pages to browse as soon as you stream the web server job).

So for getting started it might still be useful. It works fairly well.

Switching to Apache/iX (or starting with that one) nevertheless seems
reasonable for various reasons (including performance and feature set).

Lars "too sad I've not yet found the time to try Apache/iX myself" Appel.