HP3000-L Archives

July 1997, Week 2

From:
Steve Weisbrod <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steve Weisbrod <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Jul 1997 09:49:00 -0400
<Bruce wrote>
<<bunch of very interesting stuff from Bruce & Wirt snipped>>
> Something about "three years" rang a bell, but it was a while before I
> figured out why: Ferdinand Magellan's first (known) circumnavigation of
> Earth also took three years. Magellan set out from Spain in 1519, 478
> years ago. I wonder how long it'll take to get to Mars in 2474.
>
> -- Bruce

Actually Bruce, Ferdinand Magellan is still "out there".... only a tiny
percentage of the crew(s) made it back to complete the circumnavigation.
But if we continue the thread and sailing history is repeated by space
travel, then in about 2400 one old man using junk parts from a derelict
vessel will complete the trip alone.. ala Joshua Slocum and SPRAY.

Steve "it's Friday and my sailboat beckons" Weisbrod
Beechglen Development, Inc.
www.beechglen.com