HP3000-L Archives

July 1997, Week 2

From:
Tim Stoodt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tim Stoodt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Jul 1997 13:02:37 CDT
Hi,
      I'm a worried MPE/iX (5.0) rookie, who wants to do a couple of
simple things (awk,grep,vi) in the Posix shell.  I've read some of
the archived stuff, so I know how to get into the shell, use the man
pages, and how to get out.  What I am very concerned about, is
getting hung up in the shell with vi, or maybe a script that is in
a loop.  What should I do in that case to stop the shell, or my MPE
session?  Is it Ctrl-Y or Ctrl-X, or do I have to login somewhere
else and issue an ABORT or KILL command against the looping process?
Does the break key help in this situation?  I'll be working late
night hours and I definitely don't want to call and wake someone
up at 2am because my " callci showout | grep -f showthese | awk ..."
is sucking up 98% of the cpu and my prompt just won't come back.
I think I may be the first one to try the shell.  I do not have any
manuals.  How do I get to the online training (tutorial)?  I will
most likely use Reflections to get into the shell, although I might
occasionaly want to use a dumb terminal.  Does just closing my
Reflections session stop the shell?  Also, are the files I would be
creating with vi or redirection any different than "native" MPE
files?  I don't want to muck things up by putting a posix file
(HFS?) in the wrong place (MPE group?).  Thanks for any and all
advice, and remember I know very little about MPE.
                        --sign me  Shell Sojourner.