HP3000-L Archives

July 1997, Week 2

From:
Steve Fatula <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 7 Jul 1997 17:24:29 -0500
[log in to unmask] wrote:

> Dear Braintrust:
>
> 1.  What is the difference between an 'I' field and a 'J' field?
>
> 2.  Does HP's C compiler have a "Long Int" type and can it access a I4 or J4
> field?
>
> TIA,
>
> Marshall Medoff, ITA, Inc.
> Arlington, Virginia

Not much difference between I and J I do not think. As I remember,
hopefully correctly, the ONLY difference is with Query. With a J item,
query allows only numbers that a Cobol comp item would allow. Thru any
other program, you can do what you like with it. Neither can be a sort
item.

HP's C does indeed have a long data type, but it is 4 BYTES.
--
Steve J Fatula