HP3000-L Archives

July 1997, Week 2

From:
Wirt Atmar <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 8 Jul 1997 23:49:44 -0400
Jim Alton writes:

> On Tue, 8 Jul 1997, Jim Phillips wrote:
>
>  > upholding free speech on the Internet.  She mentions one Tim Berners-Lee
>  > who "invented the World Wide Web".  Can anyone tell me exactly what it
>  > is that Berners-Lee invented?  I've never thought of the WWW as being
>  > something that any one person can be credited with inventing, so please
>  > feel free to educate me.
>
>   Hmmm... I would have thought that if any entity deserved credit for the
>  creation of the World Wide Web it would be the University of Minnesota's
>  micro support department.
>
>   They created the Gopher protocol, server and client.  As far as I know
>  it's the first use of a URL: and networked hypertext.
>
>   By comparison to today's web it was limited, but it carried all the
>  building blocks that are now the foundation of WWW with the possible
>  exception of CGI style processing.

Berners-Lee is generally given rather complete credit for inventing the web
while at CERN in Switzerland. There are dozens of biographies of Berners-Lee
on the web. One short one is at:

     http://www.bellcore.com/WWWCONF/ARTICLES/11/bernlee.html

He has been given a number of awards by organizations such as ACM over the
past several years in recognition of his initial work on the WWW.

Wirt Atmar