HP3000-L Archives

July 1997, Week 2

From:
Jim Alton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jim Alton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Jul 1997 14:03:16 -0700
On Tue, 8 Jul 1997, Jim Phillips wrote:

> upholding free speech on the Internet.  She mentions one Tim Berners-Lee
> who "invented the World Wide Web".  Can anyone tell me exactly what it
> is that Berners-Lee invented?  I've never thought of the WWW as being
> something that any one person can be credited with inventing, so please
> feel free to educate me.

 Hmmm... I would have thought that if any entity deserved credit for the
creation of the World Wide Web it would be the University of Minnesota's
micro support department.

 They created the Gopher protocol, server and client.  As far as I know
it's the first use of a URL: and networked hypertext.

 By comparison to today's web it was limited, but it carried all the
building blocks that are now the foundation of WWW with the possible
exception of CGI style processing.

Jim
James R. Alton
Systems Analyst
Mohawk College                        phone: (905) 575-2281
135 Fennell Ave. W.                     Fax: (905) 575-2302
Hamilton, Ont., Canada L8N 3T2        Email: [log in to unmask]