HP3000-L Archives

July 1997, Week 2

From:
Jim Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jim Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Jul 1997 13:47:40 EDT
On Tue, 8 Jul 1997 10:43:00 PDT, "Terry O'Brien TDO" <[log in to unmask]>
writes:

>Jim,
>
>DISC has been very pleased with the MultiView package (613)-255-5050 and
>some of our customers use Mitchel Humphrey and say very nice things about
>it.  Both are good general accounting packages and not tied to a
>particular industry.

Well, I guess I should have mentioned that we looked at FMS (by Mitchell
Humphrey) a couple years ago and couldn't justify the $35,000 per seat
cost of their package (boy, it sure was slick though!).  But I'll check
out Multiview, thanks.

>Putting my old, dusty CPA green eye shade on for a second, your cost of
>conversion and training to a new accounting system is likely to exceed
>the $30,000 re-license fee unless your new vendor has a way to
>automatically convert your files and the system operates in a similar
>fashion.

You are probably correct, but seeing as how our current system has not
been upgraded since at least 1992, and is not Year-2000 ready, we may just
have to bite the bullet and get some new software.

>Speaking from a vendor perspective, we try to base upgrade costs on
>increased value usage.  Per your note, it is hard to see the incremental
>value.  So I hope you can convince your vendor that it is in yours and
>their best interest that you work out a more reasonable exchange of value
>for your CPU swap.  Good luck.

Yeah, and they want to sell us some other software for the shop floor.
Good luck to them, as well.

Jim Phillips                            Manager of Information Systems
E-Mail: [log in to unmask]      Therm-O-Link, Inc.
Phone: (330) 527-2124                   P. O. Box 285
  Fax: (330) 527-2123                   Garrettsville, Ohio  44231