HP3000-L Archives

July 1997, Week 2

From:
Curtis Larsen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Curtis Larsen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Jul 1997 22:51:42 GMT
Here's a light little topic folks --

I run three HP3000s: a 995-200, a 992-200, and poor defenseless 937 our
Applications folks beat on.
We also have six good-sized HP9000s that we use for many different things.

We have a home-grown Order Management system running on the 995-200, using
TurboIMAGE (heavily).
Big TurboIMAGE databases on each 99x handle customer/product info and use
Netbase to keep the data happy.

Okay, now our management is getting very interested in dumping the HP3000s
(over time) entirely and moving to Unix.  Their reasons (thus far) being:
lack of development on the HP3000s vs. on the HP9000s, prices of HP9000
equipment being cheaper on the HP9000s, YR:2000 is covered better,
everybody loves Unix, yadda yadda.

Now it'd be a pretty major deal for us to migrate, and I'm willing enough
to go if that's the best business decision --- but I thought I'd come here
and ask the collective experience of everyone for some honest answers to
find out what the costs of migration would be, how the costs stack up, any
hidden gotchas, etc.

If there are links, URLs, white papers, etc. already on this subject, would
someone please let me know where I can find them?  If anyone has any HP3000
vs. Unix (and/or HP3000-to-Unix) experiences to relate, I would certainly
love to hear about them -- I know a number of folks here have had to do
this type of thing already.

One other thing -- I know MPE is transaction-based, which I'm told helps
with DB access/processing, and Unix isn't -- but I've never really
understood why a non-transaction-based system would be "bad" for DB access.
 If you make good use of semaphores in your locking strategies, wouldn't
that take care of you?  (Please note: I failed DBMS101 miserably, so be
gentle -- about the only thing I know about TurboImage is that: A. It works
very nicely most of the time, and B. I wished to GOD I could watch it using
a glance-like thing sometimes so that I could see where all my impedes were
queuing up.)

Thank You very much in advance for your time and any help/info you can
suggest.

Curtis