HP3000-L Archives

July 1997, Week 2

From:
Cortlandt Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Cortlandt Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Jul 1997 19:13:54 GMT
Wirt,

Thank you for the interesting posts.  You wrote

> the ratiometric spectral responses of the various
> filters are well known. In my reprocessing the Sagan images, I am
strictly
> using an HSV model and I am assiduously not changing the hue angle. The
only
> question that remains is the saturation to value ratio. Unfortunately,
that
> can't be answered very well by using brightly colored swatches (as those
that
> appear on the side of the Sojourner rover). The human eye is maximally
> sensitive to very small changes in the pastel oranges (unfortunately,
> precisely the colors of interest). The only way to get an exact match
would
> be to have a pastel color chart on board the lander -- and Pathfinder
doesn't
> have one that I know of.

So . . .  Let me see if I correctly understand the current state of the art
in technology.   We can  1) put a man on the moon   2)  put live satellite
pictures into the color TV sets which are in most of the homes in America
3)  send missions to the farthest reaches our solar system and beyond   4)
land a robotics rover on mars    . . .
BUT   we can get the color right for the 6 o'clock news!

Boy, the irony of this just kills me . . .

Somehow, perhaps this all might indicate that the USA is not so in the
thrall of crass, Madison Avenue materialism as some have claimed.

Your poster boy of positive thinking (and tongue-in-cheek) - Cortlandt