HP3000-L Archives

July 1997, Week 2

From:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Jul 1997 16:00:57 -0400
[log in to unmask] wrote:

> The Network Admin has a desire to break the supernet down into subnets
> where each IP class is separated by routers. So, here comes my
> question: does the subnet mask of the HP3000 need to be further
> restricted down to 255.255.255.000 or can I leave it as is??
>
> As I understand masks, I do NOT believe it needs to be changed.  By
> leaving the mask at 255.255.252.000 the HP will simply look at more
> bits that the last 3. Given the potential impact of making this
> type of change to our network, I'd prefer to leave the HP3000 as is so
> that it's configuration is stable and more certain.

That's a sure-fire way to become unstable - for certain!  :-)

If you don't change the mask, the 3000 will think it can directly
address any machine on the other two subnets and therefore not use
the gateway (router) address.  You might get away with this if you're
using a switch with some layer-3 awareness, but certainly not with a
typical router configuration.

Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>