HP3000-L Archives

July 1997, Week 2

From:
Stan Sieler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stan Sieler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Jul 1997 11:35:47 -0700
Steve asks:
> Since so many jobs ran and only two errored, I felt very few files on LDEV 15
> might actually be hosed.  So I did a LISTF @[log in to unmask]@ (ONDEVICE(15)), which gave me
> a 115 page listing.  I then used MPEX to ALTFILE @[log in to unmask]@ (ONDEVICE(15));LDEV=16
> to move the files off.  I expected only the damaged files would fail, and that
> Guess what.  Nothing was working.  We were getting errors on files that were
> not even listed as being on LDEV 15.  The error was VOLUME SET NOT MOUNTED
> MOUNT PROBLEM FSERR 113 on files like HPPXUDC.PUB.SYS.  We called the response
> center, who claimed parts of the file were still on LDEV 15.  When we mentioned
> using MPEX the (now rude) RC person said 'In that case this call is over' (does
> HP not like MPEX??).  MPEX never listed any extent of HPPXUDC on LDEV 15.
>
> Soooo...any ideas why this did not work?  Could it have worked.  We ended up

Yes...MPEX has a bug/flaw, wherein it doesn't consider the location of a file's
label for ONDEVICE.  Thus, if HPPXUDC.PUB.SYS happened to have a label on
ldev 15, and data on ldevs 1, 2, and 19, the ONDEVICE(15) check would incorrectly
say "nope, it's not on 15".

BTW, easy to verify:
   BUILD A;DEV=15
   MPEX
   !LISTFILE ?(ONDEVICE(15))

P.s., funny how things come up in pairs (or whatever).  I wasn't aware of
ONDEVICE until Thursday of last week, when Michael Hensley used it to
move files off a bad ldev on a *Classic* 3000, for the same reason!

--
Stan Sieler                                          [log in to unmask]
                                     http://www.allegro.com/sieler.html