HP3000-L Archives

July 1997, Week 2

From:
Bob Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bob Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Jul 1997 10:39:03 -0500
As I understand it:

Every 2 years or so (I think the actual time frame might be 26 months),
earth and mars are at the point in their
orbits where they are physically closest.
This creates excellent launch windows every 2 years.  (The best time to
launch would be
during this closest approach, so you use minimal time in-transit...save
time, save fuel etc.).

So, for a manned mission to mars, you would likely launch during one of
these windows, take your 7 month
journal, stay on mars until the next close-approach (approximetly 2 years),
then take your 7 month
journey back.

This would mean a round-trip of approximetly 3 years.

I hope that all of the excitment that pathfinder is creating will get the
message accross to congress that
it's about time to take the next step and lets:

Get space station built, return to the moon on a permement basis, and let's
get people on their way to
mars!

It's time!

-boB

At 9:48 AM -0500 7/14/97, Larry Boyd wrote:
>Here is some interesting information that you might not know about the Mars
>mission.
>
>I had thought that the rocket was launched last December within some window
>that if they had missed it, they would have had to wait until sometime this
>summer to reschedule the launch.  This corresponds to the 7 months
>mentioned in the attached.  However, this does not correspond to the "3
>years" that was mentioned as the time it would take for an individual to
>make a round trip to Mars.
>
>I'm not a "rocket scientist" so I have no idea why a rocket with the lander
>and rover would only take 7 months and a rocket with a couple of
>individuals would take 18 months.  Anyone have any insight on this?
>
>BTW, I would like to thank Wirt for the all the work on the pictures and
>information.  While it may be "off topic" for the group, I am sure I am not
>the only one who appreciates the work and postings to the list... Thanks
>Wirt!
>         ___
>        /  /            Larry Boyd: Horizontal Growth Solution Manager
>HEWLETT/hp/PACKARD      Commercial Systems Division (CSY)
>      /__/              [log in to unmask]        (408)447-4127
>
>All opinions are my own, and not necessarily those of Hewlett-Packard.

[log in to unmask]     ####  ####    Bob Brown - KB9LFR
Harper Community College   ##  ##  ##    Systems Programmer
Palatine IL USA            ####  ####    Saved by grace
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/kb9lfr
Hark for I have hurled my words to the far reaches of the earth!
What king of old could do thus??

I am Voltohm of Borg!  Resistance is E/I, Power is EI, you will
be attenuated!