HP3000-L Archives

July 1997, Week 2

From:
Joe Geiser <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 11 Jul 1997 19:07:18 -0400
OK, since we're all taking turns going off topic...something happened
today which made my week.  I'm still shocked!

A single piece of SPAM came through a couple of weeks ago - bogus
FROM: and REPLY TO: (of course).  I decided to vent my spleen on the
perpetrator...  I found the mailserver in the headers, looked up the
domain, found the ISP (they're doing secondary DNS for them) and
fired this off to the postmaster of the domain and ISP...

DEAR  <name>

YOUR MAIL SERVER WAS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS SPAM.  YOUR DOMAIN WAS
ACCESSED VIA WHOIS AND AN INVOICE WILL BE GENERATED IN THE AMOUNT OF
US$250.00 AND WILL BE SENT TO YOUR ATTENTION AT THE FOLLOWING
ADDRESS:

   <company name, address and phone number from WHOIS>

SPAM IS NOT WELCOME AT THIS DOMAIN.  SPAM USING UNREGISTERED DOMAINS
AS THE ONE IN THIS MESSAGE AND THE ONE IN THE "REPLY TO" HEADER ARE
NOT ONLY VERY UNWELCOME, BUT ARE NOT PERMITTED BASED ON THE RFCS ON
FILE WITH IETF.  BASICALLY, YOU OR YOUR SUBSCRIBER ARE ABUSING YOUR
INTERNET PRIVILEGES.

THE INVOICE IS BEING SENT TO RECOUP THE COST OF BANDWIDTH INCURRED TO
RECEIVE YOUR SPAM, THE COST TO LOOK UP YOUR DOMAIN AND TO PROCESS
THIS REPLY.

IN ADDITION, A COPY OF THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN SENT TO YOUR INTERNET
SERVICE PROVIDER - <name of ISP>.  YOUR ISP MAY HAVE RULES GOVERNING
THE TRANSMISSION OF SPAM OVER THEIR LINES.

PLEASE DO NOT REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE.  YOUR DOMAIN HAS BEEN BLOCKED BY
OUR SMTP SERVER AND WILL REFUSE ALL REQUESTS FROM YOUR DOMAIN.

I sent the invoice - and guess who got a check - and an apology
letter?  They also said they have been trying to send e-mail, but
could not get it through (see the last paragraph above)

Paging Chris Bartram - a PO will be cut next week :-)  That *refuse*
filter works like a charm!

Now, off to enjoy my weekend,  hmmmm - what can ya do with $250.00?
 hehehe

Joe