HP3000-L Archives

July 1997, Week 1

From:
Jon Cohen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jon Cohen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Jul 1997 09:04:00 -0700
Stan Sieler wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Well, it's time for my annual grousing about the version numbering
> of MPE.  I just spent some confused time wondering about:
>
>    RELEASE: C.55.01   MPE/iX HP31900 C.05.08   USER VERSION: C.55.01
>
> Does that mean I'm on 5.5 Power Patch 1, or 5.0 (possibly patch 8?), or
> 5.8, or ?

Sorry, but I disagree.  The numbering system has been consistent for
many years, going back to the MPE/VE days.  Here are the elements:

RELEASE:  C.55.01
   This is the release V.UU.FF.  This particular V.UU.FF indicates
   5.5 Express 1.

MPE/iX HP31900 C.05.08
   This is the id of the MPE Operating System itself.  While this
   probably isn't of much value to end customers, it is of great
   value to our support community -- when you report bugs, it helps
   us understand which version of the OS we should look at.

USER VERSION:  C.55.01
   For many years, customers have had the abillity to make changes
   to their installed software, including changing the reported
   V.UU.FF.  If a customer made a change, this is where it would
   be reported.

So, I guess I don't understand what the problem is.  Why do you
need to understand more than this?  Other than insuring that
later V.UU.FFs sort higher than previous V.UU.FFs, why are you
concerned about these version numbers?  Would you prefer an
enhancement that spells out "Release 5.5 Express 1" to appear
somewhere in the :SHOWME output?  Why is this important?

--
Jon Cohen
Hewlett Packard -- Commercial Systems Division

(The opinions expressed here gotta be mine, 'cause no
one else will own up to 'em.)