HP3000-L Archives

July 1997, Week 1

From:
Denys Beauchemin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 1 Jul 1997 18:19:36 -0500
Stand back everyone, I'll take this one.

Please excuse my ignorance.  I am a naturalized American born a Canadian,
 a French-Canadian at that  (b. Montreal, Canada.  I had to learn English
two years ago so I could post on this list.  Please excuse the accent.)  I
am familiar with Canucks (Canadians), Kiwis (New Zealanders), Aussies
(Australians), Brits (Englishmen) and all manners of other terms, some of
them perhaps even derogatory, referring to someone's national heritage.  I
never professed to encyclopedic knowledge and I am forever reminded that I
am not incorrect in that conviction.   Once again, today with your posting,
this conviction is reinforced.

What is a Pommie?  A  vue de nez (an old French term), it is someone who
owns a small dog (Pomeranian), or someone who likes apples (Pommes in
French), or perhaps pomegranates.  It could also be someone who likes
poetry,  or someone who cannot remember the words to a song (as in "Oh say,
can you see, pom po-pom, pom, pom, pom").  It could be someone with a
fondness for cheerleaders, but I digress.

So I went looking through the magic of the Internet.  Alta Vista returned
78 hits immediately. Interestingly enough, most of the mentions had another
word associated with Pommie.  Sometimes the two words together were
preceded by yet another word.   Since this is a family list, I shall
refrain from elaborating on these words any further. ;-)

But finally I hit on the definition, a Pommie is an Englishman in
Australian slang.  What we would call a Brit, or long-distance.

And there you are.

Kind regards,

Denys. . .

Denys Beauchemin
Hicomp America, Inc.
[log in to unmask]        www.hicomp.com
(800) 323-8863   (281) 288-7438  fax: (281) 355-6879