HP3000-L Archives

June 1997, Week 5

Date:
Mon, 30 Jun 1997 17:35:25 PST8
Eric is correct-

I'd like to add that around the same time that the British leased the New
Territories other western powers also 'took' lands from China, this included
the Germans and the French the Italians also tried but were denied (I do not
know when/how the above powers ended their presence in China).
  The New Territories comprise about 90% of the area of Hong Kong and
although the British, based on the treaties of the Opium Wars, could have
'held on' to the portions acquired at the conclusion of those wars, they
deemed that it would have been too 'messy' to try and separate the regions
and thus opted to return the region as a whole.

Paul